Cancer patient, late wife honored at Relay for Life
Submitted by crecord2010 on Wed, 04/24/2013 - 2:23pm
The 2013 DeWitt Relay for Life was held April 19 at the Cuero Municipal Park. Honorees included Dr. Ahmad Qadri, a Victoria oncologist who died in March, Patsy Russell, who died of bone cancer in 2010, and her husband Wayne Russell, who has stage four lung cancer.
The Russells moved from Austin to Cuero in 2000. “Patsy was born and raised in Cuero,” Wayne said. “We’d been coming down here for 40 years and always said we’d like to buy one of those two story houses on Esplanade, but we couldn’t afford it. One night she huffed and puffed complaining about traffic and I said why don’t we move to Cuero? We started packing that night.”
In 2005, Wayne was Patsy’s caregiver as she was underwent dialysis. He went to the hospital to get checked for what he thought was a hernia. Instead, the doctors told him he had stage one lung cancer. He had an operation to remove part of his left lung and four days after surgery, he went home to continue caring for Patsy.
Read more in this week's edition of the Record.
Rate this article:
- Carl Krug chosen as lone finalist in supt. search
- Edwards chosen new YES principal
- New truancy law scaled down from Class C misdemeanor to civil punishment
- Avis Winifred to hold book signing on Aug. 26 at the Cuero Public Library from 9 a.m. to noon
- Back to school event set in memory of Cuero woman on Aug. 8 at the Cuero Municipal Park