Man charged following standoff
Submitted by crecord2010 on Thu, 02/06/2014 - 4:37pm
A 37-year-old Yorktown man was taken into custody following a tense, nearly hour-long standoff with law enforcement Wednesday. Yorktown PD chief Paul Campos said Gary DeWayne Smith Jr. was arrested and charged with a Class A misdemeanor of terroristic threat of a family household member after holding his common-law wife hostage at knifepoint at 127 W. Sixth St. Additional charges have also been filed against Smith.
Assisting the Yorktown PD at the scene were the Cuero PD, the DeWitt County Sheriff's Office and the Department of Public Safety. Yorktown EMS was also on standby.
More info to follow.
Call 361-564-2242 to subscribe to the News-View.
Rate this article:
- Carl Krug chosen as lone finalist in supt. search
- Edwards chosen new YES principal
- New truancy law scaled down from Class C misdemeanor to civil punishment
- Avis Winifred to hold book signing on Aug. 26 at the Cuero Public Library from 9 a.m. to noon
- Back to school event set in memory of Cuero woman on Aug. 8 at the Cuero Municipal Park