Small tremor noted
Submitted by crecord2010 on Tue, 03/11/2014 - 4:30pm
Yorktown, Nordheim and area residents were “shaken up” by a couple of activities here during the past week.
U.S. Geological Survey reported a 2.8 magnitude earthquake 9.32 miles west of Yorktown on Thursday, March 6, at 8:40 p.m.
Nordheim Mayor Kathy Payne said, “We didn’t experience anything here,” on Friday morning, March 7. “Right now I’m more worried about the waste pits,” she said, referring to the proposed waste water disposal sites near the city limits.
On Sunday evening, March 9, residents in Yorktown experienced a loud “boom” at approximately 7:30-8 p.m. The noise rattled houses and caused Facebook status’ to explode.
A call to the DeWitt County Sheriff’s Department on Monday morning confirmed that an explosion had occurred on a residence here, but no further information was available.
Rate this article:
- Carl Krug chosen as lone finalist in supt. search
- Edwards chosen new YES principal
- New truancy law scaled down from Class C misdemeanor to civil punishment
- Avis Winifred to hold book signing on Aug. 26 at the Cuero Public Library from 9 a.m. to noon
- Back to school event set in memory of Cuero woman on Aug. 8 at the Cuero Municipal Park