3 siblings have exhibited Cuero Livestock Show grand champion cattle the past 9 years
Submitted by crecord2010 on Tue, 03/18/2014 - 1:40pm
It should not have been a surprise when Yoakum High School senior Emily June Kelley’s market steer received the grand champion title at the Cuero Livestock Show. Her sister Laurel, an eighth grader at Yoakum Junior High School, exhibited the reserve champion market steer. And John Thomas, Emily June’s brother and Laurel’s twin, exhibited the grand champion breeding beef heifer. For the past nine years, the siblings have exhibited winning cattle at the Cuero Livestock Show.
“My husband Tom and I think it’s a really good program,” said Jennifer Kelley, mother of the siblings. “Both of us showed steers when we were growing up and we wanted to raise our family that way.”
Jennifer and Tom, who have both taught ag classes at Yoakum ISD, certainly passed on some key advice to their children. They all began showing cattle in third grade.
Read more in this week's edition of the Record. Call 361-275-3464 to subscribe.
Rate this article:
- Carl Krug chosen as lone finalist in supt. search
- Edwards chosen new YES principal
- New truancy law scaled down from Class C misdemeanor to civil punishment
- Avis Winifred to hold book signing on Aug. 26 at the Cuero Public Library from 9 a.m. to noon
- Back to school event set in memory of Cuero woman on Aug. 8 at the Cuero Municipal Park