Area law enforcement investigates forged checks
Submitted by crecord2010 on Tue, 03/18/2014 - 10:56am
DeWitt County Sheriff’s Office is working with area law enforcement attempting to catch a couple accused of passing forged checks.
The investigation started in February when residents in the Hochheim, Petersville, Yoakum areas reported mail stolen from their rural mailboxes. In some cases there were checks addressed these residents in the mail taken.
According to Sheriff Jode Zavesky and Investigator Carl Bowen, after the thieves verify the bank account routing numbers, they are able to create forged checks on those accounts.
These forged checks have been passed at a number of businesses in Victoria.
DeWitt County Crime Stoppers has offered a $2,000 reward for information that leads to an arrest and grand jury indictment of the person(s) involved in these forgeries. Contract Crime Stoppers at 361-275-5734.
The sheriff’s office is urging rural residents to not leave mail in your mailbox over night.
It appears the thieves are targeting the rural mailboxes late at night.
Rate this article:
- Carl Krug chosen as lone finalist in supt. search
- Edwards chosen new YES principal
- New truancy law scaled down from Class C misdemeanor to civil punishment
- Avis Winifred to hold book signing on Aug. 26 at the Cuero Public Library from 9 a.m. to noon
- Back to school event set in memory of Cuero woman on Aug. 8 at the Cuero Municipal Park