Historical Commission gifted document
The Gonzales Chapter of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas gave the DeWitt County Historical Commission a reprint of the 1904 Texas State Historical Commission publication of an article on DeWitt’s Colony by Ethel Zivley Rather. In 1825 Green DeWitt was granted permission by the Mexican government to settle Anglo families on land that stretched from south of Cuero to north of Gonzales. The publication recounts the history of those land grants and the colonists who settled here. Marge Kacir made the presentation to Peggy Ledbetter, chairman of the DeWitt County Historical Commission, at its recent meeting. Other commission members present are shown, from left, Diana Bartosh, Suzanne Pleasant, Barbara Cavanaugh, Carol Martin, Emily Davis, Margie Bell and Margaret Bluntzer. The book can be used at the DeWitt County Archives for research by the public. Contributed photo.