Stevenson Unit will celebrate 20th anniversary May 13
Submitted by crecord2010 on Tue, 05/06/2014 - 2:08pm
“I can’t believe its been 20 years.”
That is the general sentiment in Cuero as TDCJ Stevenson Unit prepares to celebrate its 20th anniversary Tuesday, May 13, at 10 a.m. at the prison.
Asking the Texas Department of Criminal Justice to consider Cuero for a prison became a hot topic here in 1991.
The economy in Cuero was in a slump and Texas was launching a massive prison expansion program. After learning TDCJ has chosen other South Texas cities for new prisons, community leaders here called a town hall meeting.
Representatives of TDCJ spoke to residents of the economic benefits of having a prison, the standing room only crowd unanimously voiced support for submitting a proposal.
Read more in this week's edition of the Record. Call 361-275-3464 to subscribe to the Record.
Rate this article:
- Carl Krug chosen as lone finalist in supt. search
- Edwards chosen new YES principal
- New truancy law scaled down from Class C misdemeanor to civil punishment
- Avis Winifred to hold book signing on Aug. 26 at the Cuero Public Library from 9 a.m. to noon
- Back to school event set in memory of Cuero woman on Aug. 8 at the Cuero Municipal Park