Project planned for DeWitt County soldiers who died in Vietnam
Submitted by crecord2010 on Tue, 05/20/2014 - 2:20pm
Bill Bertholf, member of the Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter in Yortown, has hit a road block.
The Record spoke with Bertholf in February about his search for photos of 12 men from DeWitt County who were killed in the Vietnam War. After the article was printed, the calls started coming.
“One of our guys — his brother is a retired admiral living in North Carolina. He contacted me from North Carolina to get me a picture.”
Bertholf has received photos of all but four of the 12 men he was originally searching for. He is still looking for a photo of James L. Slade Jr., Jesse Herrera, James H. Jackson and Robert E. Rashland, all from Cuero.
Besides these four men, Bertholf learned there may be more men from the county who died in the war. Shortly after the article was printed, Bertholf received a phone call from Bill Walden, who told him he had a photo of an additional man who died in the war.
Read more in this week's edition of the Record. Call 361-275-3464 to subscribe to the Record.
Rate this article:
- Carl Krug chosen as lone finalist in supt. search
- Edwards chosen new YES principal
- New truancy law scaled down from Class C misdemeanor to civil punishment
- Avis Winifred to hold book signing on Aug. 26 at the Cuero Public Library from 9 a.m. to noon
- Back to school event set in memory of Cuero woman on Aug. 8 at the Cuero Municipal Park