Council renames street to recognize Martin Luther King Jr.
Submitted by crecord2010 on Wed, 06/18/2014 - 12:16pm
Like many other towns and cities across the United States, Cuero at last has a street that recognizes Martin Luther King Jr. Members of the community gathered at the intersection of Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, formerly Airport Drive, and Leonard Roy Harmon Drive, to recognize the renaming of the street with a ribbon cutting ceremony on June 14. The Cuero Chamber of Commerce assisted with the ceremony.
Mayor Sara Post Meyer delivered the following proclamation before the ribbon cutting.
“Martin Luther King Jr. — we all know his legacy but probably one of the most important questions that he asked — life’s most persistent and urgent question — is what are we going to do for others. As we dedicate this street and rename it Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, let us remember the man for which it is named. The man who encouraged people to find solutions to our community’s most pressing problem."
Read more in this week's edition of the Record. Call 361-275-3464 to subscribe to the Record.
Rate this article:
- Carl Krug chosen as lone finalist in supt. search
- Edwards chosen new YES principal
- New truancy law scaled down from Class C misdemeanor to civil punishment
- Avis Winifred to hold book signing on Aug. 26 at the Cuero Public Library from 9 a.m. to noon
- Back to school event set in memory of Cuero woman on Aug. 8 at the Cuero Municipal Park